Monday, September 14, 2009

Playing Catch-up

Wow, it's been 1 week since I last journaled. It is so easy to lose track of time, especially when there's lots on the family schedule. When things are busy I'm prone to get a little addlepated And then there's the fact that some days I'm the windshield and some days, I'm the bug!

I'm off on Fridays but Scout marches in Greenbrier's band on Friday nights. That means getting her back at school about 1 1/2 hours or so before the game starts. No time for supper but she doesn't like marching on a full stomach and doesn't like eating at the game. But she does drink water like it's all scheduled for evaporation in the next 24 hours! After the game is when she's hungry enough to eat a water buffalo, fresh on the hoof. Friday night it was a Wendy's burger and about a gallon of Co-cola. There we all were at midnight, around the table, scarfing burgers. Good times!
Those band geeks have such a good time together! They all have these crazy nicknames and slogans for their sections. Delaney's nickname is oddly enough not "Scout" but is "Delanore" which is what her cousin calls her. By the way, band geek is their term and they are proud of it. So proud, in fact, that when a girl at school tried to hurt Scout's feelings by calling her a "band nerd" my baby's response was, "Well, if you insist on call me names at least get it right. I'm not a band nerd, I'm a band geek!" Hilarious!! Scout did pay attention to some things I've taught her. I've told her more than once that if you make fun of yourself first, it defuses the situation; giving the bully no where to go is frustrating and they usually give up and just go away. And there is always the "worst" thing you can do to a bully - pray for them, yikes!! We did that once. We began praying about a young lady who was making it her mission in life to hound and belittle Delaney. We even asked our prayer warriors, one Wednesday night at church. to pray for the bully and for God to intervene on Delaney's behalf. The bully was amazingly transferred out of every class she & Delaney shared - the NEXT day. Sometimes when His answer is "yes," it is also immediate.

Sunday morning Pastor Bill was continuing his sermons based on Exodus. During his message he was speaking about resting on the Sabbath. At the invitation he asked to pray for anyone who felt weary, "give out", just plain exhausted. Delaney & I went forward to pray with our youth pastor, Bryan Carter. Delaney had an especially long, exhausting week - long band practices including an extra one, lots of tests & homework, Wednesday night service, Friday night ball game. We asked Bryan to pray that God would give Scout an extra portion of strength and at the same time, the discernment to know when to say "enough" and when to rest. It was such a sweet time between the 3 of us and our Heavenly Daddy.
Wished I would've asked him to pray about Scout driving us home from church. But as I am alive to journal He obviously had His eye on this sparrow...driving a truck.

Come Monday I found out that, over the weekend. one of my younguns @ school had bonked his head and required 2 stitches. He was fine to come to school and we were asked to just make sure he didn't re-injure the area. After 2.5 seconds outside, He promptly banged his head on the play equipment! Different area on the head, halleluYER, and no blood. And 10 minutes later, BLAM! Yep, he hit his head again - different spot, no blood. We encouraged him to sit in the shade and play playground guard; he liked that new game and managed to escape further injury that day. Believe it or not...he repeated this scenario on Tuesday. It's that "weebles wabble but they don't fall down" thing when a kid's head is out-of-proportion to their body. I think bubble wrap or a personal safety spotter may be the answer in this case!

Enjoyed a treasure dig at the Salvation Army on Tuesday afternoon while Scout was @ band practice. Found 6 great childrens' books and paid $1.30 total ; 4 were hardbacks, all were in great condition.Actually found a lot more but I restrained myself. Found a new Target-brand Christmas wreath; am going to spray paint it black and decorate w/mini-pumpkins and other Halloween decorations. Just saw that idea in some Autumn/Halloween idea article - paid $1.29 for the wreath, yay! Big package of silk leaves, originally from Michael's, still in original packaging - 59 cents, yay! Alone time paired with inexpensive retail therapy - priceless!

And now comes the "BOOOO" part of the week. On Wednesday morning I awoke with a flaming case of the crud, a/k/a the epizutic, the pharfalonis of the blowhole, the icky. Couldn't go to work unless I planned to share this lovely plague. I don't really relish the idea of 16 sets of parents storming my home and dousing me in Lysol in retaliation for giving them the gift that keeps on giving - giving until all family members have been recipients of my unselfish generosity. And sometimes that stuff goes around twice, yippee! Went to the doctor today; she peered into my ear, visibly stepped back, and exclaimed, "Gosh, it looks awful in there. No wonder you feel like crap." My sentiments exactly. Her directness is one of the reasons I love Dr. Mason-Woodard. She confirmed I didn't have porcine pestilence - swine flu - but just good old-fashioned crud. Crud is such an apt name, who cares about the Latin! (Technically speaking however, I have ear infections and sinusitis. Yes, you read it right -ear infections, plural. As in both ears. Yikes!) A few hours after the first mega-dose of antibiotics I feel better already. And I found the joy in this situation: transportation to a doctor; health insurance; the money for the co-payment; the money for the "crud curing" medicine; and finally, a teenager to wait on me, to be at my beck-and-call, halleluYER!!

Now I must sleep.
Love to all y'all.

1 comment:

  1. The epizutic I get, but the pharfalonis? Is that your own word genius speaking or have you heard that word before?
    Nice blog, I enjoyed reading it, you have a talent.

    ReplyDelete