Saturday, September 5, 2009

Friends are Family

Thank you, Lord, for one of those just...simply...great days yesterday. Took Scout to school; got my wig fixed (i.e., haircut); ate supper with friends while hubby worked and kiddo was at the ball game. Nothing to set off fireworks about; my joy about the day would probably bore the socks off of a lot of folks. Just digressing here a moment but...I get "knock your socks off" but - how exciting can the life of a sock possibly be that one could do anything SO boring that it would cause aforementioned sock to simply drop off of a foot?? I would imagine the life of a sock is already boring and smelly; even the socks of, say, Lance Armstrong, still don't do anything but sit inside the shoe. Now the shoe, she gets to see some things! The shoes are where it's happening on that end of the body! Just saying... Okay, time to take some meds and get back to the subject of friends.

Cathy is one of my best friends. Working at Grace as preschool teachers brought us together. We hit it off and now we are like peas-in-a-pod! Perhaps because we grew close under some difficult circumstances, we had to be real with each other and right quick, too. No time for the shallow, had to dive right into the deep end together. As firefighters say - you go, we go. God was really looking to bless me when He brought Cathy into my life. She and I are so close you would think we had been friends for decades rather than just 3 years. Cathy has that fragrance the Bible talks about that draws people to her. She has quiet strength and a loving spirit with a servant's heart. Now it is beyond me how God knew that someone as loud, bossy and sorta shameless as me would bond with a gracious, sweet woman like Cathy! He knew I needed someone who would love me "just 'cause!" I am blessed to have other friends like that; loving me just 'cause they want to and not because our bloodline demands it. Cathy and her husband, David, have such a warm, welcoming environment in their home. You sense it as you cross the lawn and see the swing on the porch, blowing in the breeze; the rocking chairs waiting for a taker look so inviting. The shade across the front porch is impossible to resist as it calls for you to "come on, sit down and visit with us." The interior of her home is just as inviting. You feel enveloped by the warmth inside. And once you're friends with the Rawlins family, you ARE family. I feel like the auntie that pops in and out, like Aunt Clara coming down the fireplace on Bewitched. I never know what's going to be happening but I know I want in on it! Their family is as loud, loving and crazy as mine so nothing phases me. We might not have the same D*N*A but we share L*O*V*E and G*O*D.

Reminds me of the sign I have hanging in my home. My friend, Jasmine, has it in hers as well. It absolutely, perfectly describes our family philosophy: In this home...we do second chances; we do grace; we do real; we do mistakes; we do "I'm sorry;" we do LOUD really well; we do hugs; we do family; we do love. Add to that, "we do Jesus" and it's a complete picture. Wouldn't this world be at one with God, and in turn, each other if every household had those as a daily "to do" list?! We really strive for that kind of home. I have expressed to Bill that I want him to want to come home after work. I never want him to feel like "oh boy, I have to go home to her tonight" when he's headed home; a feeling of dread as he pulls in our driveway is a feeling I pray he never experiences. Same goes for my baby girl. Sure doesn't mean we don't have our less-than-stellar moments. Remember the "we do loud real well" part? We, especially me, DO do that! Just because divorce ain't an option doesn't homicide hasn't been pondered! But all of that training would be down the drain and I sure don't have the patience to start from scratch with a new model. (Love you honey, mean it.)

Feeling blessed to have a nice day. Nothing posh, nothing newsworthy...just simple pleasures like the love of a good friend. Much love to all of my "Cathys." You know who you are - I love ya!
Love to all y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment