Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Just thoughts

Yesterday was another good day in the K3 neighborhood. We had a little excitement in the form of a surprise fire drill. It was a surprise to everyone! The alarm was mistakenly set-off but we had to treat it as authentic. Our class took it in stride and responded very calmly. Because Ann & I were calm and orderly the children responded in kind. I've seen grown folks lose their minds at the sound of a fire or smoke alarm. Not sure that their screaming and hand-wringing actually enhanced the hysterical, losing-of-the-mind parts of the experience for them but it sure made for hilariously entertaining viewing on my part! Not mean, just honest.

Though I miss, and will always love, my former co-teachers, Ann is a joy! Thank you, Lord, for your plan to team us up this year. We already have that short-hand between us that usually takes a few weeks - sometimes months- to develop. Ann has a heart for Jesus and for children. She has so many good ideas and brings a new perspective to the classroom that is always welcome. It makes for a great dynamic to have a teacher new to Grace blended with one who has experience working at Grace. Though I strive to find new ideas, techniques, craft and recipe ideas, it helps keep things fresh in the classroom to throw someone new into the mix. Don't worry, Ann, I wouldn't really let anyone throw you - we gotta' stick together! It's us against 17 munchkins - yikes! But the worst that could happen in the case of a K3 rebellion is sticky kisses, handprints everywhere, a centers take-over and possibly a marker revolt. I can see it now...the girls would put on every article of girlie clothing and accessories in the dress-up box and probably demand that the boys put on the hero clothes (fireman, Batman, Army); the treasure box would be emptied into book bags; the markers would be seized and used until they ran dry; and if the overthrow happened before lunch, then desserts would be blatantly consumed before veggies!! And, film at 11.

Scout piled up in the bed with me last night and snuggled for a little while. "Bliss" is the word I use to describe the feeling I have when we sit up in my bed, chatting; sometimes about random, trivial stuff and sometimes about serious subjects and situations. I just love that "my Delaney" confides in me and values my opinion. That curly-haired girl that loved to play dress-up and called herself "Cinderella" for a month is older but still in there; dressing up for real now for church and for school functions; dressing up in a band uniform to take the field and play what she's so diligently practiced; sporting a nickname, Scout, that truly stuck because Cinderella was unavailable! I know that she is close to her friends, too, and that I'm not completely "in" that world but that is as it should be. With God's help, Bill & I have raised her in accordance with Biblical teachings and stand on Proverbs 22:8 "Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it." I trust her until she gives me a reason not to trust her. It gives me comfort to know there are other Christian adults in Scout's life that she loves, trusts and in whom she can confide should she ever need a shoulder and/or sound advice. Thank you, God, for answering my prayer for the gift of life. Like Hannah, I truly promised God that if He gave me a child I would honor that gift by raising the child to have a servant's heart and to love Him. God has honored Scout's love and service to Him by providing her with tools to serve Him- in the form of a dedicated youth pastor,Bryan Carter; a dynamic youth group; and many servant leaders. Scout, I am one lucky and loved mother and am proud to know you!

Today was another good day in the K3 neighborhood. It was cool all day today but wet so we couldn't enjoy the outdoors. Boo! Rachel came home with me this afternoon. She is like having a 3-year old, 3-foot tall Lucille Ball around. She is such a hoot! She says the funniest things, sometimes on purpose, sometimes not. When we got home, I got out to unlock the front door and I told her to "sit tight" and then I'd get her out of her carseat. She patted the shoulder straps and said "It's not too tight, it's just right. It's okay, I'll be here when you get back." Once inside Rachel just proceeded to make herself right at home...shoes and socks off, propped up on the couch with her legs crossed and her hands up behind her head. I gave her a cup of chocolate milk which she eyed a bit suspiciously. She took a tiny sip, smacked her lips together, smiled and said, "That tastes okay I think. Just leave it there and I may have some later." Really?! Should I have let her sniff the plastic top to the milk jug? Should I open it and let it sit 5 minutes before serving so it can breathe? Was last week a good one for the chocolate milk harvest? My word.

Hubby is home. Love that man of mine...especially since he stopped on the way home for milk and bathroom tissue. What can I say? Doesn't take much to make this girl happy. Thank you, Lord, for simple pleasures. Time for a little marital bliss.
Love to all y'all!

1 comment:

  1. awe you are so sweet... I am ejoying working with you and our sweet little class... I am so thankful God opened the way for me to be a part of Grace pre-school.

    ReplyDelete