Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Joy of Being a Moving Target; (1-800-your-driving-stinks!)

The joy and privilege of driving a vehicle is something we all sometimes, perhaps often, take for granted. We enter our buggy, turn the key and expect to be on our way in moments. As I am not a "car person" all I care about is that it gets me where I need to go. The inner workings of the combustible engine holds no fascination for me nor does the opinion of the editors at Car and Driver . I don't care what the neighbors drive. Please car, just get me on my way.

What does interest me concerning vehicles? Safety. With regards to vehicles, safety is the issue I am most often left praying about - right up there with how did so many idgits pass the motor vehicle licensing exam?! And how do they always know I'm trying to get somewhere? And how do they decide which one of them is going to follow me and try to bash into me? I am nearly convinced there is an "Mobile Idgits Anonymous" meeting at which they all decide whose day it is to vex me with feats of tremendous stupidity.

I'm beginning to treat safe arrivals at my various destinations as miracles. Now, I do thank God daily for my dear daughter, my family, job, hair (well, I do!) and yes, safety - just a few of the things for which my mama and daddy taught a good girl to be thankful. I've also begun to pray that God removes some of these folks from the road in whatever manner He deems fit. Don't misunderstand, I'm not praying for some en masse home going deal - let's get real, some of them aren't going to the same home I'll be settling into one day 'cause they're lost as a ball in high cotton and need a chance to know Jesus before they meet Him. I'll leave the "how" up to Him and just keep praying to feel less like I'm in a video game called "Try to Hit Hope (or @ least aggravate her)," A few of the things you do to earn points include : not using your signals- EVER; pulling out in front of me then driving 10 miles below the speed limit (extra points if you pull out AND are hauling a trailer); take my turn at the 4-way stop because you think stopping behind the car stopped at the sign counts for you, too. My favorite point-earner is riding so far up my tailpipe that you're not visible in my rear view mirror and on Google Earth it looks like I'm towing your vehicle. Y'all are shaking your heads in agreement because you've been trapped in your own version of this game. If not, then it's you I'm talking about here...oops!

Thank you, Daddy, for teaching me to drive defensively. Cleanliness may be next to Godliness but defensive driving will keep you from meeting Him during your daily commute!

Surrounded by idgits, I drove on...safely!

2 comments:

  1. Girl - you are so funny! You need to write a column in one of the magazines or newspapers...I just love reading your blog!

    Judy Reaves

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honey, thanks, you are the sweetest thang! Well maybe somebody with connections will pay me to do this - wouldn't that be nice?! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete