Saturday, August 22, 2009

Jesus and Disco

What a great time I had tonight! Several of our Sunday School classes joined in and had a "Disco Night" tonight in the youth suite. The decorating committee did an outstanding job of transforming the suite and cafe' into a groovy, happenin' hang-out; completing the look were the expected disco balls and other shiny stuff but unexpected items from the era like: real record albums by Neil Diamond, KC and the Sunshine band, etc., a "Mrs Beasley" doll like Buffy from Family Affair owned, a "Captain Caveman" doll, and other iconic memorabilia. The buffet included fondue pots including cheese, caramel and peanut butter dips. It was really like stepping back in time. The ensembles that people sported were a cross between hip, hilarious and completely accurate! There was so much polyester and hairspray I was looking for a fire extinguisher just in case any of us got to close to the flames from the fondue warmers and candles! With all the flammable fabric, wigs and glitter the fumes would've gotten us before the flames stood a chance, honey!!

Tonight was yet again proof that a group of adults can get together, have a great time and not have to be plowed, stoned, high or insert the euphemism of your choice describing a non-sober state of being. Being a Christian does not mean being devoid of humor, fun, hijinks and good-hearted mischief. We didn't sit around holding hands and singing hymns but I believe God was glorified by our fellowship and our care for each other. We had a ball playing stuff like Family Feud and just hanging out.

There was a little bittersweetness in my walk down memory lane tonight. I wish I could say that the first time I listened to disco, danced the hustle and wore polyester (though I was in high school) that I was walking strong in the Lord. I was not. I knew all the right "churchy words" because I was raised in a Christian home. But I was leading a double life. Until the end of the '80's I tried to fill the God-shaped hole in my life with everything but Him; partying was all I lived for - thinking about the last good time and planning the next one. My only future plans were planning the outfits I'd wear during those good times. Only by the grace of God did I not suffer long-term effects because that lifestyle is how addictions and other great burdens begin. One day I just woke up being sick and tired of being sick and tired. All I had been taught about God's unconditional love and grace still didn't prepare me for the feeling that I needed to "clean up" before I could come back to Him. But Paul, the prodigal son, and the woman at the well became my touchstones. If God could use them, maybe He could use a broken vessel like me. For the first time I came to truly embrace the truth that Jesus will meet you where He finds you but He won't leave you there. How blessed I am that Jesus loves a former disco diva like me!!
Love to all y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment