Monday, August 24, 2009

God is in my School

Yesterday was another day full of praise, worship and fellowship. I love my church family. When I worship at Grace, when I'm truly seeking the face of God, I can feel His presence in such a mighty and real way. My words are insufficient to describe the fullness of the Holy Spirit I can feel well up inside of me. Pastor Bill is a wonderful shepherd to his flock and a great facilitator who strives to bring us ever closer to our Savior and each other. I also had an opportunity to sub in the nursery. Met someone new, Leysl - not new to Grace but when you attend a large church sometimes you miss meeting folks. So happy to work with her and one of my moms from last year, Melissa. Nothing like wiping hind parts and snotty noses to bond women together! That's the stuff that breaks down walls, honey! It's hard not to be "real" when you're up to your elbows in poo.

Melissa's daughter, Tori, was in my class last year and now attends a public school kindergarten. Tori came home from school mid-way through last week and told her mama that "God is not at my school!" She went on to share her observation - and exasperation - that she was waiting for her teacher or someone to talk about God but... God was not at her school! Out of the mouths of babes! Tori also said she missed "Mr. Chris" and chapel time with him. Melissa explained to Tori that we carry God with us wherever we go and, because there are places where lessons/discussions about God don't take place, it's important that we stay close to Him and keep Him with us. It was a privilege to teach Tori and to know that she does recognize the difference when God is not in school. It also makes me sad. My Scout struggled to bring God with her to school and was bullied about her faith, her membership in a Christian club at Greenbrier Middle, and even about her Christian t-shirts. Adults are not the only targets of unbelievers and we could certainly learn from the strong faith of Tori and Scout. Glory to God, Scout had Christian teachers giving her encouragement. How blessed I am to be a preschool teacher at Grace and to have God in my school! I also know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Christian teachers work at public schools and they share their faith every day. I pray that God provides them the protection and strength they need to continue to do so.

Randomness...cooked more of Grandmother Lottie's tea cakes for my family. There is just great satisfaction for me in making something that pleases my family. I know, how sick IS that?! Seriously, I love that my daughter calls me "the MacGyver of the Kitchen." She says I could take any random ingredients and make a delicious meal. Wow, maybe I could get a paying gig doing that!! Scout was so happy she came in my room and hugged my neck so tight. Yay...a voluntary teenager hug!!! My sweet hubby is working this evening. Praying he has a slow night; a busy night for a paramedic business means there are folks out there suffering. Thank you, Lord, for our public servants and please surround them with angels and keep them safe.

Now I must go before I fall down. And if you haven't guessed it yet...God is in my home, too!
Love to all y'all

No comments:

Post a Comment