Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Just Monday

Yipee! Fall weather has arrived; now if it will last. One thing about the weather in this area - if you don't like today's, stick around because it can drastically change - in a matter of hours. Many's the day when I've had the heat and air-conditioning on in the same day. Too many times for me to count I've experienced all 4 seasons...in a week! But the weather is one of the reasons we Southern women age so gracefully. The humidity keeps our skin nice and hydrated. I repeat like a mantra when I'm melting like a popsicle in a toaster oven - "This is nature's facial, this is good for me. " And I keep loading my pocket fan with new batteries like I'm feeding quarters in a pinball machine!! I've even been known to use it in church, much to spouse's chagrin. The first time I used it during the service, he asked me if was I really going to run it while Pastor Bill was speaking and if so, what if he didn't like it? My response was (1) I didn't believe Pastor Bill would be bothered by it and (2) if he were deluded enough to confront a menopausal woman about her cooling device well, he was just taking his life into his own hands! Besides, I would just tell on him to Leila and she would take care of him in fine fashion. Honey I loves my pocket fan. As my mama would say, I need to go back to WalMart and give them some more money for that thing. Laugh if you will at my whirring, little, $3.98 plastic gadget but someone in China was having a very good day when they packaged that little jewel!

This weekend was very much a mixed bag for me. Friday was difficult because I had both a migraine and an attack of fibromyalgia facial pain. The facial pain is something new I've been dealing with for a couple of months. My glands on the right side of my neck swell so much that they press on a nerve, or bundle of nerves, running from my ear to my jaw. Pain meds alone barely touch the pain but alternating heat and ice as well helps ease the pain. There is no such thing in my life as pain-free; comfortable is sometimes achieved but usually it's just dealing with a level of pain with which I can live; 4 out of 10 on the pain scale is a good day for me and that's without the facial pain. By Saturday I was much better. Delaney and I had a quiet day at home . A nice supper Saturday evening followed Georgia's heart-breaking loss to LSU. Unfortunately, just as the Dawgs thought they had those Tigers licked so I thought I had my facial pain licked. It was but a brief respite because the pain came roaring back around midnight and I was up until 4 a.m. Determined to allow God to use this for His glory, I went to Sunday School and church anyway. And He showed up and showed out for me. Instead of being tired after church, I felt renewed and physically comfortable. I even cooked dinner. Our church had a fall fellowship in the evening (food, games, etc) and I was able to go with Delaney to enjoy it. I had fun playing "Scattegories." What a blessing it was to be in His house and with His people on His day. It always, always amazes me to see what God can do when you are literally on your knees, crying out to Him. He hasn't shared His plan for me but I know that I know that I know there is a reason I am walking through this valley - through this valley because I will exit it. One thing He has revealed is the opportunities I have had to interact with people experiencing their own kinds of pain. There have been people who seem to have been waiting for someone to listen, to understand, to just be there and I guess God put me there to be that person. There are seasons and divine appointments of His choosing. It's anybody's guess why in the world God would choose me!

Today was another lovely day in the preschool neighborhood. The rain kept us inside today, drat! But we didn't let that ol' rain stop our good time - it just meant more singin' and dancin'. It's great to be 3 and simply know that you are a fabulous singer and dancer. They truly do praise the Lord with all their heart, soul and might. I love watching our little munchkins and their uninhibited, joyous, hip-shakin' confidence as they swagger around the rug, singing at the top of their lungs. Now that's medicine you can't buy anywhere and it makes me feel good all over!

Love to all y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment